Looking to plan an epic outdoor adventure with your kids in Acadia, but not sure where to start? Not to worry, we’ve got you covered with this 2-day itinerary that’s very kid-friendly, yet perfect for the whole family! Ready. Set. Let’s adventure.
Check-in to Terramor at 4 pm. Get settled into your tent and go for a quick dip at the pool. Grab an Old Soaker Blueberry Soda or root beer from the retail shop on your way to the airport for a scenic flight!
- 6:00 pm Take flight with Scenic Flights of Acadia! This is a great introductions to Mount Desert Island and Acadia. Look below at beautiful mountains and lakes. See if you can spot a whale! Book your flight here.
- 7:30pm Back at Terramor for dinner at the Lodge. Try a Lobster Roll, the Acadia Mountain Berry Salad, one of our specialty flatbread pizzas, or even a (not so basic) burger! Be sure to ask for our kids menu for even more delicious options.
- 8:30 pm Don’t forget a S’mores Kit from our retail shop and end the evening at your tent around your private campfire.
Come early for the continental breakfast (7-10 am). Stop by the Outfitter desk to check-out complimentary binoculars and hiking poles. Catch the earliest (8:12 am) Island Explorer shuttle from Terramor to get ahead of the crowds for your Acadia National Park explorations. See the timetable and routes here.
- 8:45 am If it’s low tide, be sure to hike out to Bar Island on the temporary san bar! It’s 2.1 miles out and back. Look out for starfish & sand dollars. At the island, you can search for wild blueberry bushes in late July & August. Be sure to do this trail within 90 minutes of low tide to avoid getting stranded!
- 10:30 am Get back on the shuttle to Sieur de Monts Nature Center where you can see Native American artifacts at the Abbe Museum and native plants at Wild Gardens of Acadia. Take the Jesup Path, a .7-mile wooden plank trail through wetlands teeming with wildlife. The trail connects to Hemlock Path through Great Meadow and white birch trees. The whole area is wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- 11:30 am Hope on the Island Explorer and head to Sand Beach. Dip your toes in the ocean and take some pics. Hike Ocean Path to Thunder Hole and let the ocean spray cool you off.
- 12:30 pm From Thunder Hole, take the shuttle to Jordan Pond and have a picnic on the lawn. Hike some, or all of Jordan Pond Shore Path, a 3.2-mile easy loop. The trail provides some great photo opportunities, so you can take your trip home with you. Afterwards, cool off with some ice cream from the Jordan Pond House. Another option is to take a horse-drawn carriage ride.
- 2:30 pm Head back toward Bar Harbor on the Island Explorer. Get some neat souvenirs at The Rock & Art Shop and check out their upstairs taxidermy section.
- 3:30 pm The shuttle will take you back to Terramor for some much-needed relaxation. Swim in the pool or play cornhole on the Lawn. Adults can enjoy drinks during Main (happy) Hour from 4-6 pm on the Lodge deck, or by the cozy fireplace.
- 5:30-7:00 pm Check out Terramor’s live music schedule in the Lodge to enjoy local music while you indulge in the tastes of Terramor. Wanting to explore a few local restaurants? Try the Travelin’ Lobster or Mainely Meat at Atlantic Brewing nearby, both open until 7 pm.
- 8:00 am On Sundays*, enjoy a hot breakfast at the Lodge that includes blueberry pancakes, MorningStar Farms vegan sausage, pork sausage and home fries.
- 10:00 am Tour the Seal Cove Auto Museum on the “Quiet Side” or west side of Mount Desert Island. Request a custom tour where the tour guide will point out unique stories about each vehicle. You can get mechanical demonstrations and maybe even ride in their six-passenger 1941 Pontiac Woody!
- 12:00 pm There are a few options for lunch near here. Try Quietside Snacks in an Airstream for fried chicken and burgers or Thurston’s Lobster Pound for lobster rolls and ocean views.
- 1:30 pm Once you’ve finished up lunch, head on over to Ship Harbor trail for a 1.4-mile loop through woods leading to beautiful ocean views and rocky beaches. It’s both dog and kid-friendly.
- 3:00 pm Time for a Nature Boat Cruise with Bass Harbor Island Cruises! You’ll see seals (maybe even pups) and a small island of nesting guillemot birds. They’ll even pull a lobster trap up to see what was caught!
- 5:15/5:30 pm Stop to take photos and watch the boats from Seawall Picnic Area and Seawall Pond. Then have a snack at Salt Shop in Southwest Harbor. They have ice cream, smoothies, coffee, cookies and much more. Walk around and look into store windows featuring local artisans like Pure Maine.
- 7:30-9:00 pm Arrive back to Terramor and check out the nightly dinner specials at Kitchen  – such as the cheeseburger pizza or buffalo mc and cheese. After your meal, grab your s’mores fixings and head to your campfire for a sweet end to the evening.
What are you waiting for?! Start planning your trip to Terramor with your kids today!
p.s. If you book now for 2023, you will get the best rates before they rise. Book HERE.